Keep this easy, four ingredient hot cocoa mix in your pantry, and you’ll be sipping a warm mug of rich hot chocolate within minutes of coming in from a chilly, snowy day.
There’s a good six months in Michigan when I crave hot chocolate. And not just milk with some chocolate syrup in it, but the thick, rich hot cocoa you get with real sugar and 100% cocoa powder. The kind that tastes a little decadent and a lot like a treat. This mix makes exactly that - just add hot milk.
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
In a small dish, combine white sugar and vanilla.
Mix with a fork until vanilla is evenly incorporated into the sugar. The mixture will resemble sand.
In a medium bowl, add vanilla/sugar mixture, brown sugar, and cocoa.
Whisk until everything is well combined and no lumps remain.
Store covered in a cool, dry place until ready to use.
To Make Hot Chocolate
- Whisk 2 Tbsp of hot cocoa mix into 8 oz hot milk until the sugars are dissolved. Top with marshmallows or whipped cream and enjoy!
Tips on Hot Cocoa Mix
- I make my hot cocoa with dairy milk, but any kind of milk can be used with this mix. If you’re using sweetened milk, reduce the brown sugar to ⅓ cup.
- You MUST use some kind of milk with this mix. Do not use it with just hot water.
- Make sure your milk is hot enough to dissolve the sugars.
- This mix makes a great, easy gift!
Pair it with
Enjoy your mug of cocoa with buttery cranberry shortbread cookies.