Creamy salty feta, tangy sun dried tomatoes, and crunchy pistachios layer over freshly toasted bread for this delicious Whipped Feta Bruschetta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes recipe. It takes 20 minutes to make and is sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
- How to Make Whipped Feta Bruschetta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Delicious Drink Pairings
- Recipe Tips for Whipped Feta Bruschetta
- How to Make this Recipe Ahead of Time
- Serving Options for Sun Dried Tomato and Whipped Feta Bruschetta
- Try These Easy Appetizer Recipes
- FAQs and Substitutions
- More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love
- Print the Recipe Card
- Whipped Feta Bruschetta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
This recipe is an ode to one of my favorite appetizers at Bucher’s Union, a fantastic Grand Rapids, Michigan restaurant. Weeks after I ate it I was still thinking about their whipped feta appetizer, so I decided to create my own version.
I love this creamy appetizer for summer entertaining because it's easy to put together and make a great addition to any backyard BBQ.
But with sun-dried tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes, it's also ideal for any time of year that fresh produce is limited.
It's my favorite appetizer to bring for a potluck because no one else is going to bring a creamy feta appetizer like this one. Other fun apps to bring? My fresh tomato and mozzarella bruschetta, easy caprese crostini, or corn and avocado salad.
- Feta cheese - I like to use the feta crumbles because they incorporate into the cream cheese better, but a block of feta cut into small cubes works too.
- Cream cheese - Regular, low fat, or fat free all work, just make sure it's dairy cream cheese.
- Sun dried tomatoes - This recipe uses the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes, so make sure to get the kind packed in oil.
How to Make Whipped Feta Bruschetta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Combine feta and cream cheese in a food processor.
Process on high speed for 2-3 minutes until the feta mixture reaches a whipped and creamy texture, pausing to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
Slice the french bread.
Brush each piece lightly with olive oil on both sides.
Toast under the broiler until the bread is golden brown. Flip the bread and toast the other side. Set aside.
Place sun dried tomatoes, oil from the jar of tomatoes, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor.
Process until the tomatoes and garlic are completely minced and mixed together, pausing to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
Assemble as Individual Bruschetta
Spread 1 tablespoon of the feta mixture on a slice of toasted bread. Top with 1 teaspoon of the sun dried tomato mixture. Sprinkle with pistachios and chives. Serve immediately.
Assemble as a Dip
Place feta mixture in the center of a serving plate. Spread mixture to ½ inch thick. Top with sun-dried tomato mixture and spread it out over the cheese. Sprinkle with pistachios and chives. Serve with lots of toasted bread.
This option works great if you need to make an appetizer ahead of time and can't assemble individual slices of bruschetta just before serving.
Recipe Tips for Whipped Feta Bruschetta
- Only used sun dried tomatoes packed in oil. This is important for this recipe to work. We need the tomatoes to be soft from soaking in the olive oil in order to be the right consistency to grind up. And we’re using the flavor from the oil from the sun dried tomato jar in this recipe. You can’t just swap that out for regular olive oil.
- It will take several minutes of continuous whipping of the feta/cream cheese combo for it to come together into a creamy mixture. Don’t give up. If the texture seems more crumbly than creamy, just keep going.
- If you decide to serve this as a creamy whipped feta dip, you can swap out the small slices of bread for pita chips if you prefer.
How to Make this Recipe Ahead of Time
To make this appetizer ahead of time, make the feta mixture and sun dried tomato mixture 3-4 days before serving.
Store each in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Remove from the fridge and let both mixtures soften a bit at room temperature before assembling.
Do not assemble ahead of time, just make each part.
Assembling should be done right before serving.
Serving Options for Sun Dried Tomato and Whipped Feta Bruschetta
You have two different options for serving these bruschetta depending on your preference. You can make up each bruschetta individually so people can just pick them up and eat. OR you can layer the dip on a serving plate, and set your toasted bread alongside the drip for people to help themselves.
Try These Easy Appetizer Recipes
Looking for more easy and delicious appetizers for your next happy hour? Try my goat cheese phyllo cups with honey and walnuts, easy caprese crostini with fresh basil, or bruschetta mozzarella made with fresh tomatoes.
FAQs and Substitutions
If you don’t like pistachios or have an allergy, swap them out for toasted, chopped pecans.
If you make this recipe anytime except in the summer, chives may be very hard to find in your area. If that’s the case, just thinly slice the tops of green onions and use those instead. You can use other fresh herbs, but I like the onion flavor that chive brings to the dish and green onion tops will to the same.
This recipe tested well with regular, low fat, and fat free dairy cream cheese. I have not tested this with dairy-free or vegan cream cheese. If you do, leave a comment and let me know how it went!
I tested this with heavy cream and sour cream in place of the cream cheese, and nothing worked as well as cream cheese in creating the whipped feta. Cream cheese makes the crumbled feta break down and whip into a silky mixture faster and easier than anything else.