The perfect summer drink full of fresh watermelon flavor, watermelon infused vodka is easy to make and a fun addition to your favorite summer cocktail.
A fresh watermelon with a bottle of vodka stuck in it can be a crowd pleaser in the summer months, but what if you’re not entertaining a crowd? An entire drunken watermelon is probably too much. Watermelon infused vodka is a delicious alternative!
Watermelon cubes soaked in vodka get us two delicious things - a mini version of drunken watermelon (when you eat that cubed watermelon) AND watermelon infused vodka. Better yet, we get a delicious infused vodka that’s free of added sugars, colors, and other additives.
Vodka watermelon cocktails are perfect for a summer happy hour and a fun way to enjoy a popular summer fruit.
What You Need
- Fresh watermelon
- Pint mason jar with a tight fitting lid
How to Make Watermelon Infused Vodka
Using a sharp knife, cut your watermelon into 1 inch chunks.
Combine watermelon and vodka in a mason jar.
Let sit for at least 2 days - up to 5 days - in a cool, dark place.
Strain the mixture through the strainer. Eat the boozy watermelon chunks OR toss them - your call. (If you decide to eat them, I highly recommend chilling them first.)
Enjoy your vodka.
Store at room temperature for up to 6 weeks or in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
- Use ripe watermelon. Ripe fruit will give you the best flavor.
- Don’t worry about the seeds. You can use a seedless watermelon or one that has seeds - it doesn’t matter for this infusion because the seeds don’t impact the taste and we’re straining out the solids when it’s ready to drink.
- Buy watermelon slices instead of the whole fruit. You need less than a cup of watermelon cubes for this vodka infusion, so if you don’t want to get a whole watermelon, just buy a few slices from your grocery store.
- Don’t add any of the white or green parts of the watermelon. Watermelon rind is bitter and should be left out of your infusion. Only use the red/pink flesh of the watermelon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Choose your favorite vodka for this recipe, just be sure it’s plain vodka and doesn’t have any added flavors in it that will impact your watermelon infusion.
If you’re looking for a tasty, 2 ingredient cocktail, lemon-lime soda and ginger ale are both great mixers for watermelon vodka. Go for a 1:2 ratio (2 oz vodka + 4 oz soda) and don’t forget the ice!
Try this delicious watermelon cocktail recipe: Add 2 oz watermelon vodka, 1 oz simple syrup, 0.25 oz lime juice and a few mint leaves to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Give it a good shake. Strain into a tall glass filled with ice. Top with 1-2 oz soda water. Garnish with a wedge of lime and/or fresh mint.
Watermelon is delicious with strawberry, lime, lemon, mint, and basil.
Making your own watermelon vodka is easy and unlike buying watermelon vodka at the store - like Smirnoff or Absolut watermelon - you know exactly what’s in your drink. No added sugars. No artificial colors. Just fresh fruit flavor.
Strawberry and watermelon are flavor BFFs. They go so perfectly together. Lemon and lime are also delicious when mixed with watermelon. Just don’t forget the simple syrup to keep your drink from getting too sour.
Don’t Miss These Liquor Infusions
Homemade Watermelon Juice
Have extra watermelon from making your liquor infusion? Blend it up into homemade watermelon juice. It’s quick and easy and super refreshing! Get all the instructions over on my DIY Watermelon Juice page.