Whether you're coming in from a day of ice skating or are chilly from shoveling snow, this cozy and delicious Bourbon Hot Toddy with Maple Syrup is the perfect sip to warm you up on a cold day.
One part classic hot toddy and one part Old Fashioned cocktail, this cold weather drink takes your favorite bourbon and sweetens it up using fresh orange juice and a little maple syrup. Black walnut bitters add some warm spice and keep that sweetness in check for this hot toddy recipe.
If you’re used to a hot toddy being only for colds or tasting too medicinal, this recipe is here to change that. Leaving out the honey and lemon slice - two popular flavors for cough drops and cough syrups - means this bourbon hot toddy with maple syrup stands on its own as a unique winter drink. No sore throat necessary.
- Bourbon - Pick your favorite bourbon for this cocktail.
- Pure maple syrup - Skip the pancake syrup and use 100% pure maple syrup in your hot toddy.
- An orange - You need the juice from the orange, plus a large slice for garnish, so only a fresh orange will do. You need about half an orange per drink.
- Black walnut bitters - Walnut bitters add a delicious flavor to this cocktail. Use aromatic bitters if you don't have black walnut bitters on hand.
How to Make a Bourbon Hot Toddy
Combine bourbon, maple syrup, orange juice, and bitters in a mug.
Top with hot water.
Stir and garnish with a slice of fresh orange.
Sip and enjoy!
Looking for More Bourbon Cocktail Recipes?
If you love bourbon, give one of these cocktails a try. This coffee old fashioned is my go-to nightcap and a favorite recipe from my book. These bourbon ginger cocktails are light and sparkling, and a perfect excuse to drink bourbon on a hot day (it's not just a winter spirit!)
- Be sure to choose real maple syrup - not pancake syrup - for this cocktail.
- And squeeze a fresh orange instead of pouring from a carton. You’ll want a big slice of orange for garnish, so juice the rest of the fruit for your cocktail.
- There’s only five ingredients in this drink - and one is water - so using fresh and real ingredients is important for making the best tasting cocktail possible.
FAQs and Substitutions
Black walnut bitters aren't likely to be found at your local grocery store, but a good liquor store will have them. You can also buy black walnut bitters online through Amazon.
If you can't find them, swap the black walnut bitters for aromatic bitters.
Pick your favorite! Four Roses Bourbon and Bulleit Bourbon are both great choices. Rye whiskey is also a delicious choice for this cocktail.
Some have black tea or ginger tea in them, but I'm impatient and don't want to wait for the tea to steep so I created this spin on the classic cocktail!
I love using a big slice of fresh orange, but you can also use whole star anise or a whole cinnamon stick if you'd rather.