These homemade Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips are a great snack to serve with fruit salsa or a delicious dessert with chocolate fondue. This easy recipe uses only 4 simple ingredients and takes less than 20 minutes to make.
I love a sweet snack and the versatility of these homemade cinnamon tortilla chips makes them the perfect snack any time I'm craving a sweet treat in the afternoon, especially when dipped in a delicious fresh fruit salsa.
These easy homemade cinnamon chips - aka churro chips - are delicious with fruit salsa, on a fresh fruit board, or served alongside dessert dips.
They're the perfect crispy treat as an after-school snack or for a quick dessert when drizzled with a little melted chocolate.
This is a great recipe for using up leftover tortillas. They take less time than you think it put together and only need a little bit of time in the oven.
- Flour tortillas - Choose your favorite flour tortillas for this recipe.
- Sugar - Beet sugar or cane sugar work in this recipe. The lack of flavor in the white sugar gives the tortillas a sweet, crispy flavor while letting the cinnamon shine through.
- Cinnamon - Choose your favorite brand of ground cinnamon.
- Melted butter - I enjoy the flavor dairy butter gives these baked cinnamon sugar tortilla chips, plus it helps the chips get a nice, golden brown color. You can use either salted or unsalted butter. If you don't want dairy, melted margarine, oil, or nonstick cooking spray will all also work in this recipe.
How to make Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips
Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon together. Set aside.
Brush each tortilla with an even layer of melted butter, going all the way to the edge of the tortillas.
Sprinkle the tortillas with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Cut tortillas into small triangles - at least 8 per tortilla.
Place tortilla wedges in a single layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 9-11 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature before serving. (Note: they will continue to crisp up as they cool!)
Serve at room temperature or store in an airtight container or zip top bag for up to 3 days.
How to Store These Cinnamon Chips
Store your cinnamon sugar chips in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If they lose crispness, place them in the oven at 300 degrees for 3-5 minutes to crisp them back up.
What to Serve with Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips
- These cinnamon chips are delicious served with my Fresh Apple Salsa with Strawberries or other fruit salsa.
- Use them as chips for dessert nachos! Create a layer of cinnamon sugar tortilla chips on a plate. Add small scoops of your favorite ice cream (I love using vanilla ice cream), plus chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, and whipped cream. So easy and so good!
- Serve as a dipping option for chocolate fondue or with other sweet dips like this Sweet Cream Cheese Dipping Sauce or Pumpkin Pie Dessert Hummus.
FAQs and Substitutions
While it’s certainly possible, this recipe really benefits from the use of flour tortillas. They allow the cinnamon flavor to stand out. You can use any kind of flour tortilla you'd like for these, including low carb tortillas.
You can substitute brown sugar for the white sugar, if desired, though it will change the flavor slightly.
If you don’t want to use melted butter, you can use melted margarine, vegetable oil, or cooking spray to coat the tortillas and make the cinnamon sugar mixture stick.
- The chips may seem a little soft when you take them out of the oven, but that’s OK. It’s not necessary to bake these cinnamon chips until they’re crunchy immediately out of the oven. They’ll crisp up as they cool down.
- Change up this recipe by adding a sprinkle of nutmeg to the cinnamon sugar mixture and/or half a teaspoon of vanilla to the melted butter.
- Make cutting even easier and use a pizza cutter to slice up the flour tortillas.
- Make them more fancy or themed by using your favorite cookie cutter to cut the tortillas into fun/holiday shapes. (This works best with metal cookie cutters.)