This mocktail version of a classic Moscow mule is more than just a glass of ginger beer with lime. Fresh ginger, ginger syrup, and mint bring more complex flavors to this delicious non-alcoholic Moscow Mule Mocktail.
Traditional recipes for Moscow mules don’t have lots of mint. But this version puts a fun and flavorful twist on your favorite cocktail recipe by using bright, fresh mint and other simple ingredients to highlight the ginger flavor.
A non-alcoholic cocktail is a great way to include everyone in your festivities. Since everyone deserves a delicious drink, this is the perfect mocktail to serve at your next party, or when you’re hosting a special occasion like a bridal or baby shower.
During the holiday season a ginger beer mocktail recipe is a favorite way to provide great drinks for all.
Ingredients for Moscow Mule Mocktails
- Fresh lime - With a short ingredient list, fresh lime juice is important in this mocktail recipe. You'll need about half of a lime for each drink.
- Fresh mint leaves - Fresh is the only option with mint. You'll need some for muddling and some for garnish.
- Fresh ginger - Fresh ginger gives this Moscow Mule a subtle spiciness.
- Ginger simple syrup - Make your own ginger simple syrup in just a few minutes with only three ingredients.
- Club soda or sparkling water - Either one works for this recipe, so choose whatever you have on hand.
- Ginger beer - The classic Moscow Mule ingredient! Choose your favorite brand of ginger beer. (Reminder - like its root beer cousin, ginger beer is a soda and contains no alcohol.) If you don't love ginger beer, you can swap it out for ginger ale for a lighter ginger flavor.
How to Make a Moscow Mule Mocktail
Combine mint leaves, fresh ginger, and lime juice in a copper mug or rocks glass.
Gently muddle to break up the ginger.
Fill the glass with ice cubes.
Add ginger simple syrup, club soda, and ginger beer. Stir gently to combine.
Garnish with a sprig of mint and/or lime wedge.
- Use fresh limes, ginger and mint. All three of these can be found at your local grocery store. Don’t skip the fresh ingredients. They make a huge difference.
- Ground ginger is NOT a substitute for the fresh ginger in this recipe. It will not dissolve and will make your drink gritty. Don’t use it in your mocktail.
Make Your Own Ginger Simple Syrup
Ginger simple syrup takes only 3 ingredients and a few minutes to make! Get the recipe and all the instructions over on my How to Make Ginger Syrup page.
Frequently Asked Questions
While Moscow mules are traditionally served in a copper mug or copper cup, a rocks glass works just as well for serving this drink.
This virgin mule recipe was designed to not need non-alcoholic spirits, but if you have alcohol-free vodka in your home bar that you’d like to use, add 1.5 oz to your glass alongside the simple syrup.