A fall twist on a classic cocktail, this 3 ingredient Pumpkin Spice White Russian is the perfect after-dinner drink for all of fall or to sip during the holiday season.
Thank you Jackson Morgan Southern Cream for sponsoring this post. Please sip responsibly.
It's pumpkin spice latte season! Ok, it's pumpkin spice EVERYTHING season - and I'm all in.
The Dude's preferred sip in The Big Lebowski, a classic white Russian cocktail is simple and delicious. It's the kind of cocktail that's the perfect drink for after dinner when you're wanting something a little sweet.
But since all I want in the fall is pumpkin cocktails, I had to take the classic white Russian recipe and give it a tasty twist for the fall season.
I would rather keep pumpkin spice coffee creamer (or any coffee creamer) in my coffee cup and out of my cocktails, so cream liqueurs are the perfect swap for creating a delicious and creamy drink. This Jackson Morgan Spiced Pumpkin Roll Liqueur is a delicious pumpkin-flavored liqueur that's ideal in this fall drink.
For this recipe we're rimming our rocks glasses with cinnamon and sugar instead of heavier ingredients like graham crackers to make sure nothing gets in the way of fall flavors in our Pumpkin Spice White Russian.
Serve these pumpkin white Russians at your next Halloween party, for a fall happy hour, or as an after-dinner Thanksgiving cocktail.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Jackson Morgan Spiced Pumpkin Roll Liqueur - This creamy spiced liqueur is bringing all the pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg flavors to this drink. We’re using this instead of the pumpkin spice creamer so commonly found in white Russian seasonal cocktails.
- Vodka - Your favorite plain vodka will work great in this recipe. Skip the vanilla vodka as it overwhelms the pumpkin spice flavors.
- Coffee liqueur or coffee syrup - Choose your favorite brand, or use my 2 ingredient coffee syrup in place of coffee liqueur to make a delicious cocktail with a little less alcohol in it.
- Cinnamon and Sugar - These get mixed together for a cinnamon sugar rim on your cocktail glass. Don’t want it? Skip it!
- Milk or cream - Pick whatever you have on hand that’s the highest milk fat, preferably whole milk, half and half or heavy cream. This is for making the cinnamon sugar mixture stick to the rim of the glass. The heavier the liquid, the better the cinnamon sugar will stick.
- Whipped cream - For topping your delicious cocktail.
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice White Russian
Pour milk or cream onto a shallow plate.
In a separate dish, combine the sugar and ground cinnamon.
Dip the rim of a rocks glass or old fashioned glass in the cream, then into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Fill the glass half full with ice cubes, or use one big ice cube, and set aside.
Combine vodka, spiced pumpkin roll liqueur, and coffee liqueur in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice cubes.
Shake well. Double strain into your prepared glass.
Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Sip and enjoy!
- The cinnamon sugar rim is an extra step but totally worth it!
- Double straining your cocktail may seem extra, but all of the ingredients you’re shaking up are at room temperature. Which means they’re going to cause the ice cubes in your cocktail shaker to crack and break down quicker, creating tiny pieces of ice inside your shaker. Keep those out of your cocktail by pouring it through a fine mesh strainer held over your glass.
Looking for More Pumpkin Spice Recipes?
In the mood for all things spice and pumpkin? Make your own pumpkin spice syrup - made with real pumpkin puree, then use it to shake up this pumpkin spice martini. (The syrup is also delicious in coffee!)
Frequently Asked Questions
Jackson Morgan has a spirits finder page on their website so you can see if it's carried in your state and how to request that your local store carry Jackson Morgan. You can also head to ReserveBar.com to see if you can Spiced Pumpkin Roll Liqueur online.
If you’re in one of the few states that doesn’t carry Jackson Morgan, use 1.5 ounces of half and half or heavy cream and 0.5 ounces of pumpkin spice syrup in place of the 2 ounces of Spiced Pumpkin Roll liqueur.