This easy Apple Moscow Mule recipe is a delicious and festive fall twist on the classic Moscow Mule. Ginger and apple are a delicious pairing for the fall season, with fresh lime juice keeping their sweetness in check.
There’s no easier happy hour cocktail than a Moscow mule. The cocktail recipe has three ingredients and no special tools are required, not even a muddler or cocktail shaker. Which also means it’s super quick - and fun - to create variations on a traditional Moscow mule.
Apple season in Michigan starts in early September, and we often have warm fall days. Which means I'm looking for a refreshing cocktail after visiting a couple apple orchards for apple picking season.
These fall Moscow mules are the ideal post-orchard sip since we're usually home by mid-day and mules have a low alcohol content. They're the perfect way to enjoy fall even when the temperature says summer.
While these Apple Moscow Mules are the perfect fall cocktail, you can enjoy them any time of year! Thanks to the use of apple vodka you don't have to worry about whether or not fresh apple cider is in season or use apple juice in your drinks.
Mule drinks are traditionally served in a Moscow mule mug or copper cups so they stay colder longer. Don’t have a copper vessel on hand? No worries. A rocks glass or old fashioned glass will work great for this delicious cocktail.
Ingredients for Apple Mules
- Apple vodka - Absolut Juice Apple and Sky Honeycrisp Apple are my favorite apple vodkas because they taste the most like fruit, not candy. Can't find apple vodka? Follow my recipe for strawberry vodka, swapping out the berries for apple slices, and make your own!
- Ginger beer - This spicy, non-alcoholic soda is a necessary ingredient in any Moscow Mule recipe. Want a milder ginger flavor? Swap it out for ginger ale.
- A lime - Fresh lime juice is key to a delicious Apple Mule. With only 3 ingredients in this drink you really can taste the difference fresh citrus makes.
- An apple (for garnish) - Add a few apple slices in your glass alongside a lime wedge for an easy and fun garnish.
How to Make Apple Mules
Fill you glass with ice, then add the apple vodka.
Squeeze ¼ of a lime over the vodka. Add the lime wedge into the glass if desired.
Top with ginger beer.
Give your cocktail a gentle stir.
Garnish with thin apple slices and/or a fresh lime wedge.
- Up the fall flavor factor with garnish! In addition to a red or green apple slice, a cinnamon stick, some fresh nutmeg, or a piece or two of star anise would all be very fun decorating the fall version of this festive cocktail.
Try These Moscow Mule Variations
Moscow Mule cocktails are 3 simple ingredients, so I love changing it up and making delicious variations on this classic drink. My strawberry Moscow mules feature homemade strawberry syrup. Not into drinking alcohol? Try my non-alcoholic mule mocktails with zero booze and tons of flavor!
FAQs and Substitutions
Absolut Juice Apple Vodka and Sky Honeycrisp Apple Vodka are the two most readily available apple vodkas in my area. But if you can't find apple vodka, you can infuse liquor and make some! Place a cored, chopped apple in a pint mason jar and fill the jar with vodka. Let it sit in a cool, dry place (like your pantry) for 5-7 days, depending on the strength of apple flavor you’d like. Strain the apples out of the vodka, and enjoy your homemade apple vodka!
You can, though the spicy ginger beer is a big part of what gives this cocktail its flavor. Ginger beer has a much stronger ginger flavor than traditional ginger ale and even the "strong" ginger ales on the market today.
There’s only 3 ingredients, so fresh juice makes a big difference. Don't substitute fresh limes for bottled juice. Squeeze a lime into your drink!
I love Absolut Juice Apple Vodka or Skyy Honeycrisp Apple Vodka in this recipe over Smirnoff's apple vodkas. Those taste too candy-like to me. I also like that Abosolut is easy for me to find in my local grocery store.
Nope. Like its root beer counterpart, ginger beer is a soda pop that contains zero alcohol. Just lots of spicy ginger flavor.